Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Prophet Muhammad's Birth

Question: In my local mosque I attended a bayaan on the 12th of Rabi al Awwal. In it the speaker related some stories of the birth of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Some of the things brought questions to my mind. e.g. that the Prophet's mother, Amina may Allah be pleased with her saw a star falling from the heavens and she reached out and touched it and then she found the Prophet peace be upon him in her lap. Another statement was that the Prophet peace be upon him made sajdah as a baby and prayed for his ummah. Is there any truth to these statements and can you quote Hadith or Quran to confirm?

Answer: Prophet Muhammad -may Allah raise his rank- was born from his mother, and did not just appear in someone's lap. As for the sajdah and praying, this is unfamiliar to me. I have seen none of this mentioned in books such as Ibn Kathiir's world history and the Prophet's biography by Ibn Hishaam.

... and Allah knows best.