Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Questions on ţahaarah, prayer and covering the ˆawrah

1- What's the ruling for eating halal food in plates / bowls/ pots used for cooking haram food in there?

Ĥanafiy Answer: They have to be cleaned in flowing water until all traces of najis filth are gone. If they have been washed in the kitchen sink, run some water from the tap over them before using them. If they have been cleaned in a dishwasher, then that should be sufficient if the water is changed 3 times or more (even if it was mixed with soap.) In the Shaafiˆiy school, however, if the najis is from a dog or a pig, then it must be washed 7 times, including one time with water mixed with soil.

2- Are my prayers valid for a Muslimah ( who follow Shafie mazhab) with her hand uncovered because running out of prayer time and don't have the clothes for praying (to cover her hands)

Sħaafiˆiy Answer: If you mean from below the wrist, yes, otherwise: no.

3- What's the ruling for hair colouring because of the chemicals used in the hair colour that make water don't go through the hair ( when making wudhu' or ghusl)

Ĥanafiy Answer: I one uses something that actually prevents the water from reaching the hair, then this prevents wuduu and ghusl. This is not the case, however, with normal hair coloring.

4- Is red / white wine vinegar" / "rice wine" etc halal? How about those things found / mixed in food ingredients such as bread , crab stick etc?

Ĥanafiy Answer: As long as there is no alcohol present, or other najis substances in the ingredients, it is halaal. Note that seafood other than fish is not halaal in the Ĥanafiy school, but the other 3 schools allow it.

5- What I understand , anything that comes in contact with dogs (its hair or saliva), needs to be washed 7 times. My husband's mother has dogs. What should me and my husband do every time we go to visit her? Because it's important for a son (even after he becomes a Muslim) to have a good relationship with his mother regardless of her religion Or we just can't be bothered to visit her?

Ĥanafiy Answer: The dog saliva and sweat is najis, but there is no need to wash with soil except according to Asħ-Sħaafiˆiy. If you come in contact with a dry dog, this does not transfer any najis to you. Only if it is wet, because its sweat is najis, or if it licks, because its saliva is najis.

6- When is the valid time to say niyyah (intention) for fasting ( Ramadhan, qadha' and nazr )?

Ĥanafiy Answer: in Ramađaan before half the time of fasting has passed, but in qađaa' or nadħr, only before fasting time starts. Asħ-Sħaafiˆiy says one must make the intention of fasting before fasting time starts even in Ramađaan.

7- Who is in my husband's family when I shake hand with them and etc will break my wudhu'? Is my wudhu' valid when I touch my mother in law, my female in laws, my father in law, my husband's uncles?

Sħaafiˆiy Answer: Shaking hands with a non-maĥram of the opposite gender that has reached an age when a normal person might find him/her attractive breaks one's wuđuu. This would apply to your husband's uncles and brothers (if any), but not his father. In front of these you are not allowed to show more than you hands below the wrist, and your face, and it is sinful to shake hands with them.

8-My relative takes medications to thin the blood because of health conditions,what if I find some old dry blood traces on clothes, sheets etc. I've tried washing the blood from the clothes used for prayer. Is it najis for the blood's on the sheet that's hard for me to wash it off?

Ĥanafiy Answer: If you have washed it several times in different waters, or with flowing water, and some trace of color remains that will not go away with using water alone (but would need soap or chemicals), then this is excused.